The Canine Good Citizen (CGC) Test by the American Kennel Club is a supreme benchmark for canine etiquette. The program is designed to evaluate the behaviour of a dog, their temperament and their ability to exhibit good manners under various circumstances.
What Is the Canine Good Citizen Test?
The CGC program is a comprehensive training course for both dogs and their parents. It aims to impart 10 key skills that are useful at home and while interacting with other people and dogs. From basic commands to advanced tasks, the CGC program is designed to equip your dog with better social skills and adaptability. The focus is not on enforcing obedience. Rather, the training program empowers dogs and their parents with effective communication and establishes clear cues that lead to positive outcomes.
All dogs, irrespective of their age and breed, are eligible to take the CGC test.
By the end of the program, you and your pooch will be a proper team, capable of being a good citizen and tackling any situation you encounter.
What Does the CGC Test Cover?
The CGC test evaluates dogs on the following 10 skills:
- Greeting a friendly stranger
- ‘Sitting politely for petting
- Being calm during grooming sessions also allows paws and ears to be handled
- Coming whenever he is called, responding well to the basic commands
- Moving politely through a crowd
- Walking as directed on a loose leash
- Behaving politely in the company of other dogs
- Sitting, lying down, staying still and responding to commands
- Can be left alone with a trusted person
- Reacting confidently to distractions with no panic or aggression
Benefits of the Canine Good Citizen Test
The Canine Good Citizen test imparts all-round skills to your dogs and makes them well-behaved in every way. Here are some benefits of the CGC program:
- Improves Social Skills
By taking this test, dogs get exposure to various environments, people, and other dogs. Socializing the dogs promotes confidence, making them well-behaved in different situations.
While training for the CGC test, dogs learn to respond to commands properly, reducing the risk of danger or undesirable behaviour in public. This leads to a safe and enjoyable experience for both dog and their owner.
- Widely Respected
The Canine Good Citizen program is a globally renowned program known for positive results. A CGC certification can open many doors for dog and dog parents. It can be a gateway to more adventure, advanced training, and more travel.
- Reflects Responsible Pet Ownership
Successfully completing the CGC test reflects responsible pet ownership. It demonstrates that the pet parent has invested significant time and effort in training their dog. It also showcases the care and love of the pet parent for their pooch.
- Improves Trust & Bonding
The CGC test is more than just a training program. It is a bonding experience for you and your pup. Through positive training and cues, your pup responds to commands, fostering trust and mutual understanding between you and your fur baby.
- Higher Public Access Rights
In some countries, many places like hospitals, hotels, rental homes, or parks provide access only to dogs who have passed the CGC test. If your dog has this certification, you and your pooch will feel more respected and welcomed in various communities.
- Prevention of Behavioural Issues
Social training and exposure provided to dogs in the CGCA test reduces the likelihood of behavioural issues like excessive barking, aggression and conflicts with other dogs.
How to Prepare for the CGC Test?
Before appearing for this test, taking a basic dog training course would be quite useful for your pooch. Preparing your pooch for the Canine Good Citizen test requires expert guidance and a personalised approach to training.
At Paw Purrfect, our dog training experts understand the nuances of the CGC test and help your dog master the skills required to earn the CGC certification. We provide comprehensive dog training that covers all the aspects required to ace the CGC test.
From basic command training like Sit, Come, Stay and many more to socialising your dog, leash training and teaching them basic obedience and manners.
We fully understand the significance of dog behaviour in different environments under CGC training. Hence, we conduct training sessions not only at home but also in public parks, exposing your dog to different environments that they may face during the test. This strategic training approach makes your pooch more confident and adaptable.
We conduct training sessions for dogs of all breeds and across all age groups. Our focus on positive reinforcement creates an enjoyable learning experience for your pooch.
You can avail dog training services if you are preparing your pet for the CGC program. Our training experts will meet you and your dog and chart out a personalised training program that is well-aligned with your dog’s temperament and mood.
Rules & Conditions of CGS Test
- Before taking the Canine Good Citizen test, owners have to sign the Responsible Dog Owners Pledge.
- You also have to make the exam fee payment – $100 which comes with 3 attempts.
- The tests have to be performed on a leash. For collars, dogs should wear a well-fitting buckle or slip collars made of leather or fabric. Pinch collars or electronic collars are not allowed.
- Body harnesses can be used in the CGC test.
- The pet owner can motivate and encourage the dog during the test. They can even pet the dog between exercises.
- The usage of toys and treats is not allowed during the test.
- If a dog growls, snaps, or attempts to bite any person or another dog, he will be classified a bad citizen and that attempt will be considered a failed attempt.
Obtaining the CGC test is the most important milestone for both dog and their parents. It is the most exciting thing you can do as a pet parent. It improves the all-round health of your dog,